Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book Review: A Beautiful Mess By T.K. Leigh

Genre: Steamy Romance
Publisher:  Tracy Kellam
Publication Date: August 27, 2013
LinksAmazon   Goodreads
Star Rating:

What happens when you lose everyone that promised they would always be there for you? How can you protect the few pieces of your shattered heart that remain?

Olivia Adler is a woman with a troubled past. After losing her parents at the young age of six and being raised by an uncle who she lost years later, she refuses to get attached to anyone, including friends. For the past decade, she has been able to remain unattached to any man, too worried about losing someone to get too close. Until Alexander Burnham walks into her life one night and changes everything. But he has issues of his own. And he’s keeping a secret that could turn Olivia's world upside-down. Will Olivia let Alexander in enough for him to get close and protect her from a force threatening her very existence, or will she push him away, scared of letting Alexander in, in order to protect her heart?

A Beautiful Mess is the first installment of a three part series sure to captivate the heart with a story of secrets, courage, and love.

My Overall Impression of the Book

I was gifted this book for an honest review. I give A Beautiful Mess 3 ½ stars. This book had the potential to be a 4-4 ½ star book if the plot was better. The book centered around Olivia Adler a woman with a trouble past. She losses her parents at the age of six and has major attachments issues, not just with men, but her friend as well. I actually liked Olivia’s character most of the time but she was a coward at times which really irritated me. The hero in this book is Alexander Burnham or Mr. Burnham in the bedroom :-). I loved Alex to pieces. The book was well written and it flowed. I liked how the book showed both Alex’s and Olivia POV. The love scenes in this book were incredible. So I liked the characters and the writing so what happened? The plot it what happened.

The book started out strong I was intrigued. But the plot went on and on and on. I mean the plot did not need to drag out to the end of book with NO RESOLUTION. Don’t get me wrong…I love a good cliffhanger. But this was not a good way to end the book. 

Characters 

Olivia – I get it…her parents died when she was six years old and she has some issues, but nothing else happened in her life for her to be this messed up? I mean she is a little over the top. Her parents died like 20yrs ago. I’m not saying she should not still be hurt, but I can’t believe she has not made any progress with her issues since she was six?

Alex – His secrets were silly and unnecessary. The secrets he kept from Olivia were unrealistic because of the field he works in. He could not possibly think that keeping the truth from her would keep her safe. How is she supposed to protect herself? And the letter!! I’m not going to go into the letter because I am writing a spoiler free review, but he really has the wrong priorities when it comes to Olivia.

Lastly, I do not think that it is realistic for Alex to be put in the compromising position he was put in as a child. No way.

With that being said I will be reading the next book. I just hope the plot is stronger in the next book.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, found you on Making Connections - have added you to Facebook, Twitter and Bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete