Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Friday, January 3, 2014

Book Review: Stitch (Stitch Trilogy Book 1) By Samantha Durante



Genre: Dystopian & Paranormal Romance
Publisher:  Samantha Durante (Self Published)
Publication Date: July 30, 2012
LinksAmazon     Goodreads
Star Rating
Synopsis 

Her heart races, her muscles coil, and every impulse in Alessa's body screams at her to run... but yet she's powerless to move.

Still struggling to find her footing after the sudden death of her parents, the last thing college freshman Alessa has the strength to deal with is the inexplicable visceral pull drawing her to a handsome ghostly presence. In between grappling with exams and sorority soirees - and disturbing recurring dreams of being captive in a futuristic prison hell - Alessa is determined to unravel the mystery of the apparition who leaves her breathless. But the terrifying secret she uncovers will find her groping desperately through her nightmares for answers.

Because what Alessa hasn't figured out yet is that she's not really a student, the object of her obsession is no ghost, and her sneaking suspicions that something sinister is lurking behind the walls of her university's idyllic campus are only just scratching the surface...

The opening installment in a twist-laden trilogy, Stitch spans the genres of paranormal romance and dystopian sci-fi to explore the challenges of a society in transition, where morality, vision, and pragmatism collide leaving the average citizen to suffer the results.

My Overall Impression of the Book:

I was gifted this book by the author for an honest review.  I give Stitch 2 Stars with a caveat.  Although I give this book 2 stars, I will be reading the sequel.  I know I know…if I gave the book two stars, why in the world would I read the second book.  

Well…

To be perfectly honest I would have just given up on the book all together if I was not gifted the book for the purpose of a review.  Simply put…the majority of the book was boring.  I mean somebody shoot me now boring.  The book revolves around Alessa…yet another college student that loses her parents at an early age.  Where have I seen that before…in every romance novel EVER.  But that was not the worse part of the book.  Alessa was just a boring character.  Her life was boring, her friends were boring, even her encounters with the ghost were boring.

To make matter worse, she became obsessed with this ghost.  A ghost that, as a reader, I could care less about.  She spend so much time in the first half of the book researching this dang ghost that I wanted to scream.  Her emotional reaction to the ghost and her feeling toward the ghost made no sense until the last 1/4th of the book.  By the time the book got interesting…I was already over it.

I just did not love these characters.  This is Samantha Durante’s  first novel, so I am sure that her storytelling will improve with time.  

As stated before, I will read the second book.  The last 1/4th of the book was intriguing enough that I would like to know what happens with the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment