Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Genre: New Adult Romance
Publisher:  Atria Books
Publication Date: August 14, 2012
Star Rating:  5/5
LinksGoodreads Amazon
 
 Synopsis 

INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

My Overall Impression of the Book:

I love this book so much!!  This book was INTENSE DANGEROUS AND VERY ADDICTIVE.  I thought I was in love with Christian Grey until I met Travis Maddox.  This is not a typical love story.  Travis had some serious anger issues and Abbey did have a past.  Abbey was an okay heroine.  I also loved the supporting characters; which is not always the case. I actually hope the author will make more stories about the supporting characters.  This book was different and was an emotional roller-coaster.  I laugh, cried, yelled, and smiled throughout the book. 
The Bad – There were some misplaced story-lines in this book that I did not care for.  For example there was a short scene in Vegas with her father that I thought was pointless.  The author should have explored that storyline or left it out completely.  This book is easily one of my favorites.

**This book is not for everyone. There is violence and emotional instability, but to me that is real life**

The author has a second book called Walking Disaster.  It’s the same story told from Travis’ POV.  I would have preferred a sequel, but if you are interested in being in Travis’ head...have at it.

Characters 

Travis Maddox - I loved Travis, although he has some serious anger problems.  He fought hard but loved harder.  He went to great lengths to win Abbey over once he realized he had real feelings for her.  ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA was Mr. Maddox.  He did what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it…and nobody dared get in his way.  Loved it!!
Abbey Abernathy - She was an okay heroine.  She did irritate me at times, and her “sordid” past was not that bad to me.  Actually it was kind of a letdown from all the build-up.  I have read books with worse heroines so Abbey…I could take.  

Plot and Writing:

The writing was okay.  There were some grammatical errors but it was an easy read and the errors did not throw the story off…not for me anyway.  The plot was great.  Travis made a bet with Abbey…if she lost she had to stay with him for month.  What a difference a month makes.  Living within someone 24/7 changes your perception of that person.  There is no hiding when you are around someone all the time.  They really got to see one another…on the inside.  Their love was wild, passionate, and fire.

Recommended Read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment