Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Friday, October 25, 2013

Book Review: Fated (Dark Protector #1) by Rebecca Zanetti


Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance Series
Publisher:  Kensington Books
Publication Date:  March 1, 2011
Links Amazon   Goodreads
Star Rating



Marry Me! Cara Paulsen does not give up easily. A scientist and a single mother, she's used to fighting for what she wants, keeping a cool head, and doing whatever it takes to protect her daughter Janie. But "whatever it takes" has never before included a shotgun wedding to a dangerous-looking stranger with an attitude problem.

Or Else! Sure, the mysterious Talen says that he's there to protect Cara and Janie. He also says that he's a three-hundred-year-old vampire. Of course, the way he touches her, Cara might actually believe he's had that long to practice. . .

My Overall Impression of the Book:  
 
Fated is the first book in the Dark Protect series by Rebecca Zanetti. The book is about Cara Paulsen and Talen Kayrs. Cara is an enhanced human with special gifts and Talen is the vampire who wants to mate her. I recently finished the Immortals After Dark and Black Daggar Brotherhood series so I was looking for a new group of alpha males to fall in love with. Well I got them. I love the Kayrs brothers. There a lot of mix reviews about Talen and his “run you over like a Mac Truck” approach to Cara and there mating. I do think he is the most barbaric of the bunch and that is okay with me. I loved him personally. Cara was in danger and every action he took (rather you agree or not) was to protect her. Zanetti did a great job with the world building. I was actually more interested in the world she created then some of the characters, a first for me. 

This book was a good start to the series. Now I am hooked!! The books are an easy read. I actually read the first two books in the series over the weekend. Zanetti also writes novellas that focus on the side characters. Although I see her reasoning, I wish she just wrote full novels about the side characters as well. Anyone who loved IAD or BDB will probably enjoy this series as well. One thing I love about this book series is the Dark Protector’s world is so different from other paranormal books I have read, I do not feel like am reading the same story.  Cara was a likeable heroine.  She had to deal with the cards she was dealt, and Talen did not leave her a lot of choice.  Her life was going to change forever one way or another.  She could either go with vampires, or get kidnapped by their enemy…the Kurjans.  No I do not agree with her leaving her daughter for a extended period of time but Talen did not leave her much choice.  I fell in love with Cara’s daughter Janie, and she is a very important part of the series.

Characters

Talen – Is a barbaric old school alpha male…and I absolutely loved it :-).  There was one thing Talen did in the book that I did not like at all (you will know when you read it), but for the most part I love me some him.  Talen is the take charge, kick butt and ask questions later kind of guy

Cara – Cara was a likeable heroine.  She had to deal with the cards she was dealt, and Talen did not leave her a lot of choice.  Her life was going to change forever one way or another.  She could either go with vampires, or get kidnapped by their enemy…the Kurjans.  No I do not agree with her leaving her daughter for a extended period of time but Talen did not leave her much choice.  I fell in love with Cara’s daughter Janie, and she is a very important part of the series.

Plot and Writing: Love the plot of these books.  So the Kayrs brother are basically the royal family, but they act more like soldiers then royalty.  They have a enemy called the Kurjans.  These two factions have been at peace for hundreds of years until both factions find out about Janie, who is a little girl with special abilities.  Cara also has special abilities and these qualities are needed in the mate of both the vampires and the Kurjans.  So the war is between these two factions is back on, and all the other factions in the realm (witches, shifters, deamons, werewolves) will have to pick a side.  The world that Zanetti has built is both fresh (for a paranormal romance) and interesting. 
This series is a must read!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment