Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Kade's Dark Embrace (Immortals in New Orleans #1) by Kym Grosso


Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance Series
Publisher: Kindle Direct Publishing
Publication Date: March 5, 2012
Links: 
Goodreads   Amazon
Star Rating: 
 
After a series of girls are ritualistically murdered on the cold streets of Philadelphia, seasoned detective, Sydney Willows, is forced to work with sexy, alpha vampire, Kade Issacson. While working the case, Sydney finds herself inexplicably drawn to Kade, fighting the passion she feels towards him.

Kade, determined to solve the case and mete out justice, is captivated by the independent, fiery detective. As he attempts to protect her from a very real murderer, Kade grows concerned that the beautiful, but very human detective, could easily end up dead should she tangle with supernatural forces that are beyond her control.

The investigation leads them into a dark and dangerous world, deep in the heart of New Orleans, where together, they search for the perpetrators of the Voodoo killings. Sydney soon becomes the target of the killer and ends up fighting for her life and love in the Big Easy. Will she eventually give into the intoxicating desire she feels for Kade if she makes it out alive?

Kade's Dark Embrace is the first installment in the Immortals of New Orleans Series.  The book centers on tough as nails Detective Sydney Willows and New Orleans Vampire Leader Kade Issacom.  These two are like oil and vinegar from the very beginning.  I give this book three stars. This book was a pleasant surprise, it showed up in a suggested read email from Amazon.  I can’t pass up a free book about vampires and werewolves…lol.  Although I loved the plot, the writing was horrible and almost ruined the book for me. 

Overall Impression of the Book


This book is True Blood with a sprinkled of Twilight (but way more fierce).  Yes I said True blood because I have not read the Sookie Stackhouse Novels.   Although this book puts me in the mindset of True Blood, it was a unique story.  This was a decent book, and I do not feel like I wasted my Saturday afternoon reading it. I may have felt differently if I paid for this book. I think it was smart of the author to offer this book for free, it was just not good enough to pay for. In this book the Supernatural Beings (Vampires, Werewolves, and Witches) are known to the public, but not treated like second class citizens like they are in True Blood, which is a plus. I like the fact the different supernatural factions are not at war with one another, but are allies. Kade's best friends is a werewolf, how often do you see that!! Not to mention Kade’s BFF Tristen, the Alpha Wolf, is HOT HOT HOT. The story starts with a string of murders happening in Philadelphia. Sydney and Kade must work together to solve the case. Kade is happy to spend more time with the human detective, but Sydney wants to get always from the vampire as soon as she can. There is sexual tension between the two from the very beginning, but it was a nice build up to the action :-). This book was only about 250 pages, but there was a lot of story within those pages.

Characters

Sydney - I liked Sydney but I did not love her. I respected the fact she was not some whinny damsel in distress and she kicked ass and took name. The fact that she made so many mindless mistakes putting herself in harms way numerous times irritated me. 

Kade - Was an okay hero. I didn't like the fact he let Sydney boss him around in the beginning. Not what I expect from a 200yr old vampire. Where the hell his backbone was for first 50% of the book, I could not tell you. He became a little more dominate toward the end of the book, which is how I like my vampires…dominate and in control.

Plot - The plot saved the book, it was interesting and kept my attention. It ended on a cliffhanger and I purchased the next book…yes I spent money this time. I have my fingers crossed that the sequel to this series is worth the $3.99 I paid for it. There a lot going on in the story, the mysterious murders of young girls, an unknown enemy, and a brooding romance. The author did some decent, but not great world building that gave me a good sense of the main and sub-characters. 

Writing - The writing was a hot mess, and nearly ruined the book. It was amateurish, cheesy, and I felt myself cringe on more than one occasion. At times it felt as though I was reading a cheesy drugstore novel, not a kick ass paranormal romance. All in all, this book was not a waste of my time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment