Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Saturday, July 5, 2014

This Man (This Man Trilogy #1) by Jodi Ellen Malpas


 
Genre: Steamy Romance
Publisher:  Forever
Publication Date:  June 18, 2013
Links:  Goodreads  Amazon
Star Rating:  

Young interior designer Ava O’Shea has an appointment for a first consultation at The Manor with the owner, Mr Jesse Ward. She is expecting nothing more than an overweight, cravat wearing, well-to-do countryman, and on arrival, nothing would suggest otherwise. How wrong could she be? This Man is devastatingly handsome, charming and confident. He is also a conceited, hedonistic playboy, who knows no boundaries. Ava desperately does not want to be attracted to him, but she can’t control the overwhelming affect he has on her. Every instinct is telling her to run, so she does, but Jesse Ward is not so willing to let her go. He wants her and is determined to have her. She knows she is heading for heartbreak, but how can she run when he won’t let her?

This book is the first in the “This Man” trilogy centering on Jesse Ward a business and Ava O’Shea a talented interior designer. Ava is hired by Jesse to fix up his hotel, and the chemistry between to two is instantaneous. Ava is very apprehensive of Jesse, and with good reason. Jesse is like an 18 wheeler that plows into her life and runs over any obstacle that stands in his way, including her. I am not a fan of Mr. Jesse Ward.

Overall Impression of the Book

I can't quite put my finger on how I feel about this book. I read this books because of the positive reviews and I’m a sucker for an Alpha male. The reviews put Jesse on par with Christian Grey, and since I am such a Christian Grey fan, I had to read it. Well... Mr. Jesse Ward makes Christian look like a regular everyday guy. I love the chase between the hero and heroine, but Jesse took it to another level. Usually I laugh at reviewers that say the hero went too far, or the heroine was bullied into submission. Well count me among those reviewers because that is exactly what happened in this book. I did not connect with Jesse for most of the book and disliked his character greatly.

He was extremely unreasonable when it came to Ava’s personal life, but kept Ava in the dark about his personal life, which irritated the hell out of me. These characters where a train wreck, I just watched the disaster unfold while shaking my head. I can't say that I loved this book, but I can’t say I hate it either. Maybe it’s both. This book and I have a love/hate relationship. Lastly, this book had way too may sex scenes. I was looking for some character development and real dialogue, but all I got was tons of sex. That created very little depth of the characters. I would have liked less sex and more character development.

Characters

Ava - I'm not impressed with Ava as a heroine, but she was not completely annoying. I actually started to like her more about 75% into the book. I did like how she challenged Jesse at times, but those challenges did not really yield a change in his absurd behavior or information he was keeping from her. So her challenges seemed futile. She couldn’t even get the man to tell her his age, REALLY!! Jesses is not the sharing type and she did not have any control over their situation. I did love her in the last night club scene, now that was funny, and her friendship with Kate is adorable. I appreciate she is desperately trying to hold on the independence while Jesse is trying to forcibly snatch it from her.

Jesse - Is an insecure psychopath, and very unattractive. I did not like his pursuit of Ava in the beginning. It was over the top and demeaning. I am in no way a prude, and I love my Alpha males, but 20 missed phone calls, harassing her at work, stalking her, and making scenes at her house on numerous occasions is not endearing or romantic. I disliked Jesse until about 50% into the book. From 50%-75% of the book I liked Jesse a little more, and then it happened. The real Jesse showed up the last 25% of the book and he was an absolute mess, and I loved him for it. He was out of control and jacked up, but it was a realness in his character that was not present for most of the book. Now that is the Jesses I can get behind.

Needless to say, this train-wreck of a book was intriguing enough for me to read the sequel. I am not sure if I will finish the trilogy, it depends on the sequel and if the author decides to give me more than awesome sex scenes and a psychopathic hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment