Quote of the Week

“There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.”

Christopher Morley, Pipefuls

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Luca's Magic Embrace (Immortals in New Orleans #2) by Kym Grosso


Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Kindle Direct Publishing
Publication Date: October 17, 2012
Links: Goodreads  Amazon
Star Rating:


An erotic paranormal romance…

Sexy vampire, Luca Macquarie doesn’t do love; especially not with humans. Yet, ever since he rescued Samantha Irving, he can’t deny the enigmatic attraction he’s developed for the alluring mortal woman. Concerned for her safety, he’s determined to bring Samantha back to her coven. His mission is to go find the novice witch and bring her home, nothing more, nothing less; falling for her is not supposed to be part of the plan.

Samantha doesn’t want to be a witch, yet that’s exactly what she is. After failing to elicit her magic, she escapes to the mountains in an attempt to resume a semblance of her previous human life. When an arsonist torches her cabin, Samantha’s worst fears are realized. Aware that her life is on the line, she reluctantly agrees to return to New Orleans with Luca.

In the Big Easy, Samantha and Luca embark on a spellbinding journey, searching for a mystical amulet that promises to release her obligation from an ancient, lethal vampire who’s been threatening her life. With cryptic clues and clandestine allies, will Luca and Samantha destroy the dangerous amulet before others acquire it, setting forth a chain of catastrophic consequences? And will Luca give into his erotic desire for the witch who magically captures heart?

Sometimes when you find a series you just have to hang in there. I did not give up on this series, and I’m so glad I kept going. Luca Luca Luca…was absolutely delicious in “Luca’s Magic Embrace” the second book in the Immortals of New Orleans Series. This book was simply a pleasure to read. I was unimpressed by "Kade’s Dark Embrace" which was the first book in this series, and if the book had not ended on such an intense cliffhanger, I would have missed the opportunity of reading Luca’s story.

Over Impression of the Book

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Kym Grosso’s writing has improved greatly since her last book, her writing style was completely different this time around. She must have found a better editor. This book had it all, action, romance, and mystery, which seems to be the trend for this series. I loved the storyline that focused greatly on Samantha coming to terms with becoming a witch. That made the story so much fun to read. I also loved the first few chapters that focused on Kade helping Luca heal. It was soooo emotional and I loved it. I felt way more connected with the character this time. What did bothered me was the lack of Kade’s presence in the rest of the book. Luca had some series drama going on that not only affected him and Samantha, but the vampire race as a whole. I would have thought the leader of the vampires would be a lot more involved in getting the issue resolved. Maybe Kade had complete confidence in Luca, but it frustrated me, especially since Luca was so instrumental in helping Kade and Sydney in the last book. 


Characters

Luca -
Luca is my new book boyfriend. He changed so much in the course of one book. He loathed humans in Kade’s Dark Embrace. In this book he is so loving, intense, and dominant. I loved the light BDSM scenes with he and Samantha, so freaking HOT. His strength was unparalleled. Everything but the kitchen sink was thrown at this vampire during this book, and he continued to overcome all adversity geared toward him and Samantha. He was a true protector, and I understand why Samantha trusted him so much. He definitely needs to be the leader of his own territory, he is surely capable. I must admit that after I read this book, I said Kade who. I also love the scenes he shared with Tristan. I can’t wait to read about that sexy Alpha wolf.


Samantha -
FINALLY!! A heroine I can get behind. I really loved Samantha, and it has been a long time sense I’ve truly loved a heroine. Vulnerable, yet strong, she had to overcome a lot. Unlike Sydney, she was loyal to Luca from day one, and was open to explore her feelings for him. She has a big heart, and the potential to be a very powerful witch. This book was not just about Luca saving her, she also saved him. She was smart, funny, tough, and feminine.

Plot -
The overall plot of the book was just okay. The plot in the first book was far better yet, this book surpasses its predecessor, hands down. This book was packed with action and mystery, which is something I expect from a Kym Grosso novel. The story moved along fluidly, with little to no dead spaces, there was a lot of story to tell. The sudden switch in POV is new to me, but was still easy to follow. The writing was so much better in this book, and I look forward to reading about Tristan’s story next. I love the wolves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment